[Avodah] Retzuos that are Black on Both Sides

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Apr 15 09:57:33 PDT 2015

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 05:07:04PM +0100, D via Avodah wrote:
: Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 11:34:00 -0400
: From: Micha Berger via Avodah <avodah at lists.aishdas.org>
:> 1- If the bottom is painted, why wouldn't the cholqim on the Rambam
:> consider the paint a chatzitzah between the retzu'ah and the head or arm?

: 1. If it is just soaked, there is no problem of chatzitzah. (Did the
: fact that the pesiloth of the Tsits were soaked in techeles dye
: constitute a problem of chatsisoh? atmahah?) ...

So I believe your answer to my first question is that they don't paint
the bottom, they only use my scenario two -- soaking the leather.

About your parenthetical comment... If halakhah requires tekheiles,
it requires blue wool. The completed product would be what the kohein
shouldn't have a chatzitzah under. Not the undyed wool.

:> 2- If the leather is soaked in dye [until it's] absorbed and the leather
:> is fully black (a process developed about 12-13 years ago), how do we
:> know it's still valid material from which to make a retzu'ah?

: 2. Why shouldn't it be valid material after soaking? It's still
: leather....

But it's no longer entirely skin of a kosher beheimah, as the dye
isn't made from skin. It is now a retzuah made of skin + dye. I
could see that either way, and am asking how we (or the posqim among
us) can just assume that this innovation is not a problem.

Just as tekheiles is different than tzemer, perhaps dye-soaked
leather is different in kind than leather. How did we determine
it isn't?

: Dovid [sofer]

Thanks for chiming in. But could you kindly put your full name in your
email header or signature once in a while, so that people know who we're
talking to? One of Avodah's goals is to create chevraschaft, which is
difficult when people are anonymous or partially so.

micha at aishdas.org        1 week and 4 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Netzach sheb'Gevurah: What is imposing about
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            strict justice?