[Avodah] Retzuos that are Black on Both Sides

D via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Apr 15 09:07:04 PDT 2015

Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 11:34:00 -0400
From: Micha Berger via Avodah <avodah at lists.aishdas.org>
> 1- If the bottom is painted, why wouldn't the cholqim on the Rambam
> consider the paint a chatzitzah between the retzu'ah and the head or arm?

> 2- If the leather is soaked in dye [until it's] absorbed and the leather
> is fully black (a process developed about 12-13 years ago), how do we
> know it's still valid material from which to make a retzu'ah?

1. If it is just soaked, there is no problem of chatzitzah. (Did the fact
that the pesiloth of the Tsits were soaked in techeles dye constitute a
problem of chatsisoh? atmahah?) There may be a problem if it was
subsequently glossed black - which it isn't.

2. Why shouldn't it be valid material after soaking? It's still leather.
According to halachah, [have not checked this up right now - but if memory
serves me] you can even use klaf [bdi'eved] for retsuos - as long as it is
the skin of a kosher beheimoh, its kosher.

Dovid [sofer]