[Avodah] Rabbi Noach Isaac Oelbaum's Position on the Kosher Switch

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Apr 15 07:21:09 PDT 2015

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 09:34:32AM -0400, Prof. Levine wrote:
: I received this in an email from Moshe Deutsch

:> I personally spoke to Rabbi & Rebbetzin Oelbaum who told me to
:> publicize this. I was the one who made them aware that the person
:> behind KosherSwitch is using his name in a way that Rabbi Oelbaum did
:> not intend...

This still doesn't clear up my confusion, although it does confirm what
the YWN post said (if not who authored it).

I am trying to understand whether RNIO's problem with the appearance of
his name on the KosherSwitch.com "approvers" list is because
a- he feels that use of the switch is zilzul Shabbos, or
b- he would hold it's gerama.

What I am trying to understand is the tzad to say their switch isn't
gerama. It appears to conform to the description of the Machon Zomet
switch as it existed at the time R' Neuwirth consulted with RSZA who
ruled it was.

If RNIO holds it's "only" zilzul Shabbos, then clarifying what his
position is was useful, but doesn't remove all my confusion.

I was expecting that the posqim the Kosher Switch people are hearing
overly optimistically (for their investment) would actually all end up
agreeing with RSZA once we got clarification. Such as R' Neuwirth, whose
approval was based on assuming the proposed use was a medical context.

micha at aishdas.org        1 week and 4 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Netzach sheb'Gevurah: What is imposing about
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            strict justice?