[Avodah] RYBS's Talk on Hafkaas Kiddushin, Talmud Torah and Kabala s Ol Malchus Shamayim

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Apr 14 08:22:22 PDT 2015

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 03:45:47AM +0000, Kenneth Miller via Avodah wrote:
:  From what I understand, the objection to hafkaas kiddushin comes from a
: presumption that a woman would prefer to stay with her husband, even if
: he seems to be a terrible person, and even if she tells us that in *her*
: opinion he is a terrible person -- and we have this presumption because
: of the chazaka of tan du.

You phrased it as a psychological issue. RYBS says it's something
existential or ontological -- and explicitly NOT pschological. I think
he is saying that this vector exists in every woman's character. Even
when current social reality provides other vectors that may submerge tav
lemeisiv tan du, it is an entity present in her psyche (ontologically)
still shaping her perception of reality (existential).

And because of that element of her soul, inherited from Chavah, it's very
hard to ever call a marriage a complete meqach ta'us on the bride's part.

But again, my impression from RAL which is reinforced by this
transcript, this particular argument was a side-bar, not RYBS's
primary argument. Eg:
: I can easily understand opposition to Hafkaas Kiddushin on the grounds
: that widespread use would give *all* marriages a sort of "tentative"
: status. But that's not what people are referring to here, right? ...

RYBS discusses that issue at greater length than this one anyway.

micha at aishdas.org        1 week and 3 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Tifferes sheb'Gevurah: When does strict
Fax: (270) 514-1507                  judgment bring balance and harmony?