[Avodah] "kesod siach sarfei kodesh"

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Apr 8 05:37:15 PDT 2015

On Mon, Apr 06, 2015 at 09:59:14PM +0300, Simon Montagu via Avodah wrote:
: > Sod means conclave?
:
: Yes, as in "besodam al tavo nafshi" in birkat Yaakov (Bereshit 49:6), where
: it's parallel to "kehalam", or more directly connected to kedusha Ps 89:8
: "sod kedoshim".

To clarify: "Sod" *here* means conclave?

I suggested an alternative, which I think fits the sentence better,
as it makes "sod siach" a phrase, rather than trying to explain the
interruption of "siach" in "sod ... sarfei".

: I couldn't say whether "conclave" is the original sense and "secret" a
: derived meaning, or vice versa

Very different implications hashkafically, whether yesod would then be
related to secrets (as foundations are in the ground) or a gathering of
people (people as founders?).

:-)||ii!

Micha Berger             Today is the 4th day
micha at aishdas.org        in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Netzach sheb'Chesed: When is Chesed an
Fax: (270) 514-1507                           imposition on others?