[Avodah] Historic Practice Passover Offering

Kenneth Miller via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Apr 3 15:16:11 PDT 2015

R' Yitzchok Levine posted:

> See the video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kgbRusmqjs
> As reported earlier, in preparation for the upcoming festival of
> Passover, this past Wednesday (5 Nisan - 25 March) the 'Priestly
> Training Academy' established by the Temple Institute held a
> Passover offering practice drill. This is a film that documents
> this event. This was the most accurate and authentic reenactment
> of this service to have taken place in nearly 2,000 years.

Two things in particular surprised me in this video:

1) The lambs were so small! Children carried them in!

2) At the very end, it shows and mentions that the korban pesach "is roasted whole and in a special oven." Special oven? What was special about it, and why an oven at all? I would think that the oven would (at least partially) bake it, whereas it was supposed to be roasted by the fire, and only by fire. I recall halachos of it being held by a pomegranate branch to avoid heat conduction by metal, and rotated like a rotisserie to avoid it being cooked even by its own juices. What's this oven about?

Akiva Miller