[Avodah] Standing at a Chupah

Prof. Levine via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon May 18 06:37:27 PDT 2015

Yesterday a friend of mine told be that the Rov where he davened said
that he knew of grandparents who did not want to walk down at their
grandchildren's Chassana,  because they knew that the people
attending the chupah would not stand for them even though they were
70 + years old.  They did not want to be involved in lifnei Iver.

Truth be told,  I have seen the following many times.  When the
grandparents who are 70 or more years old walk down,  no one stands
for them.  However,  when the chosson and kallah walk down everyone
stands for them.

It is, of course,  a positive mitzvah to stand up for any person 70
years old or more.  See

See
http://judaism.stackexchange.com/questions/35165/standing-for-someone-whos-turned-seventy

It is questionable if one has to stand for the chosson and kallah.  See
http://web.stevens.edu/golem/llevine/levine/standing_chasuna.pdf

I told my friend that it should be announced at the beginning of
every chupah that  1.  All cell phones should be turned
off;  2.  There should be no talking during the chupah,  and  3.  If
grandparents who are 70 or more will be walking down,  then one is
required to stand for them.

I think if this were done at Chasanas it would soon become the norm.

YL

llevine at stevens.edu