[Avodah] The Princess and I: Academic Kabbalists/Kabbalist Academics

Prof. Levine via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed May 6 23:25:21 PDT 2015

 From http://tinyurl.com/km8kf2n

The last few decades have witnessed the veritable explosion of "new
perspectives" and horizons in the academic study of Kabbalah and
Jewish Mysticism. From the pioneering work of the late Professor
Gershom Scholem, and the establishment of the study of Jewish
Mysticism as a legitimate scholarly pursuit, we witness a scene
nowadays populated by men and women, Jews and non-Jews, who have
challenged, (re)constructed, and expanded upon Scholem's work.[2]
  These men and women themselves have been variously praised and
criticized themselves for sometimes blurring the lines between
academician and practitioner of Kabbalah and mysticism.[3] Professor
Boaz Huss of the Ben-Gurion University of the Negev has done
extensive work in this area.[4] One of the most impressive examples
of this fusion of identities is Professor Yehuda Liebes (Jerusalem,
1947-) of Hebrew University, who completed his doctoral studies under
Scholem, and rose to prominence himself by challenging scholarly
orthodoxies established by his mentor.

See the above URL for more.  YL