[Avodah] The 5th cup

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Mar 20 07:47:20 PDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 06:50:55PM -0700, martin brody wrote:
: Some say the 4 expressions of redemption, particularist, others the 4 times
: the cups are mentioned in the Joseph story, in jail, therefore the 4 cups
: of freedom, were universalist.

R Yehoshua ben Levi or R Shemuel ben Nachman (Y-mi Pesachim 10:1. 68b)
R Levi (sham) says it's the 4 cups of pur'onios that HQBH will give the
umos ha'olam to drink:
    - Kach es kos hayayin hacheimah (Yirmiyahu 55)
    - Kos zahav Bavel beYad Hashem
    - Ki kos beYad Hashem (Teillim 75)
    - Yimtar al reshaim pachim... menas kosam (Tehillim 11)
and the 4 cups of nechamos He will give BY:
    - H' menas chelqi veqosi (Tehillim 16)
    - dishanta vashemen roshi, kori revayah (Teh' 23)
    - Kos yeshu'os esa (x 2) (Teh' 112)

The 4 leshonos in Shemos 6:6-7 is said first, by R Yochanan beshaim R
Benayyah. RHM tells me that R' Matis Blum cites the Gra as tying kos
shel Eliyahu to a 5th lashon -- veheveisi (6:8).

I'm not sure where to find a 5th cup in R' Levi's position. It requires
mastery of Tanakh that I lack.

But the kosos of the sar hamashkim's dream only requires browsing one
pereq of Bereishis.

The first four (from the Y-mi, all in Ber' 40):
    - Vekhos Par'oh beyadi (v. 11, sar hamashkim describing the dream)
    - Va'eschat osam el kos Par'oh (ibid)
    - va'etein es hakos al kaf Par'oh (ibid)
    - venasata khos Par'oh beyado (v. 12, the pitaron)

None of which runs counter accepting the historical evidence that the
minhag emerged for pragmatic reasons. After all:

1- Explaining *how* a minhag came to be historically is different than
explaining *why* HQBH wove things to produce that turn of events.

2- After the practice started, would it have spread -- or if it spread
already, would it still be continuing -- if people didn't find a meaning
in it? So even if these reasons aren't the initial cause, they end up
being the cause of why we're doing it today anyway.

Micha Berger             "Man wants to achieve greatness overnight,
micha at aishdas.org        and he wants to sleep well that night too."
http://www.aishdas.org         - Rav Yosef Yozel Horwitz, Alter of Novarodok
Fax: (270) 514-1507