[Avodah] Women Without Names

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Fri Mar 15 09:34:22 PDT 2013

On 14/03/2013 5:30 PM, Jay F Shachter wrote:
> whenever Scripture contains a woman's name that appears
> to be unnecessary, there is always a midrash that attempts to give the
> reason why -- e.g., Genesis 4:22 (she must have been Noax's wife), Genesis
> 11:29 (she must have been Sarai -- which is, by the way, preposterous,
> if Avram was older than Haran).

Um, how so?  What exactly is absurd about Haran marrying much younger than
his brothers, and having daughters whom they marry?  For that matter, how
do we know that Harans' daughters were Avram's and Nachor's first wives?

[Email #2. -micha]

On 14/03/2013 5:30 PM, Jay F Shachter wrote:
> They no longer announce events for "Shabbos" HaGadol, because that is
> ignorant

How so?  What is ignorant about vocalising it in accord with the Shulchan
Aruch's interpretation?

[Email #3. -micha]

On 14/03/2013 5:30 PM, Jay F Shachter wrote:
> disappearing the names of married women is what the goyim do.

Indeed, Roman women, single or married, had no names of their own at all.

--
Zev Sero
zev at sero.name