[Avodah] kitniyot

Kenneth Miller kennethgmiller at juno.com
Sun Mar 10 17:12:09 PDT 2013

R' Eli Turkel wrote:

> I would also point out that RMF explicitly states that using
> peanuts (or peanut oil) on Pesach depends on one's family
> minhag. As such (as far as I know) all Ashkenazi communties
> do not use corn or soya or their oils since corn is used for
> bread and soya is a bean. Even though these are not included
> in the original gezerah they were nevertheless accepted by
> minhag as kitniyot.

Can someone remind me what the difference is between peanuts and soybeans in this regard? They are both beans, and (to my knowledge) both have become widely used only fairly recently.

Am I mistaken? Is it possible that soybeans were well-known in Europe and already considered kitniyos there, which cannot be said of peanuts?

Akiva Miller