[Avodah] How do Chabad deal with the Amen of Krias Shema

Kenneth Miller kennethgmiller at juno.com
Thu Feb 28 05:48:35 PST 2013

I thank R"n Chana Luntz for her lengthy cite from the Yalkut Yosef. To me, the main point was:

> ...And even though there is to say that the Brachot of Yotzer
> v'ahavat olam and v'emet v'yatziv are not brachot of kriyat
> shema, since behold we do not bless "asher kidishanu
> b'mitzvotav vitzivanu l'kroa kriat shema and like the Tur
> writes siman 59) in the name of the Rosh.  In any event the
> opinion of the Rambam and the Ramban and the Rema and the
> Aruchot HaChaim, that their din is like the din of brachot of
> kriyat shema.  And so writes the talmidim of Rabbanu Yonah
> perek shlishi sheachlu (Brachot 45b) and the Rashash in his
> teshuva (siman 438).  And thus one who is exempt from kriyat
> shema is exempt from the brachot of kriyat shema.

If I'm understanding this correctly, his point is that while these brachot are not ACTUALLY in the category of Birchot Hamitzvah, they are sufficiently similar to it that the same rules apply. I would find that much easier to accept if the Shma and its Brachot followed the same zmanim, which they do not. I was therefore very relieved to find this point being addressed as well:

> Note by the way that while Rav Ovadiah holds that if in fact
> men have the custom to say birchas kriyas shema during fourth
> hour after netz then they do have on whom to rely, but after
> the fourth hour it is also assur for the men to say the
> brachos of kriyas shema.

I was very surprised to hear that the permission to say these brachot during the fourth hour is not universal. Mechaber 58:6 writes: "Even though its zman lasts to the end of the third hour, if the third hour passed and he did not say Shma, he says it with the brachot during the entire fourth hour, which is one third of the day, though he does not get s'char like one who said it on time."

This seems to be supported by Kaf Hahaim 58:23: "No one argues on this, suggesting that after the third hour it should not be said with the brachot."

I found much writing about saying the brachot during the 5th and 6th hours, but who has a problem with the 4th? (This, to me, is a critical point is showing whether the brachot are more related to Shema, or more similar to Tefilah.)

Akiva Miller