[Avodah] Haman and Amaleik

Kenneth Miller kennethgmiller at juno.com
Tue Feb 26 06:06:07 PST 2013

Someone asked:
> if Eliyahu haNavi were to see a baby that happened to
> be from Amaleiq, he would be mechayev to kill her?

R' Jay F. ("Yaakov") Shachter answered:
> The mitzva is to destroy the entire nation.  He would not be
> obliged ... to kill him/her, unless, in so doing, he would be
> completing the destruction of the entire nation.

You seem to be saying that those who killed Haman, and those who killed his sons, and those who killed other Amalekim of the day, did not fulfill a mitzvah thereby, because there were other Amalekim still alive, and the destruction of the nation was only partial.

If so, I'm curious where you get this. My guess is that you might be getting it from the haftara about Shaul, who supposedly ignored the mitzvah by allowing Agag to stay alive. But I would have thought that each Amaleki is a separate mitzvah, and that Shaul DID fulfill the mitzvah with the others he killed, but that he was m'vatel this one other mitzva.

Akiva Miller