[Avodah] tfilat haderech and birchat hagomel

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Jan 30 08:02:31 PST 2013

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 05:16:46AM -0500, Rich, Joel wrote:
: If I had to guess- tan du was inherent in creation based on nachash
: story, [the dangers of] drachim just a contemporary reality chazakah.

I also think that this was a side-issue in RYBS's total argument against
R' Rackman's BD. I know that's the piece that gets quoted a lot, but
RYBS spent far more time discussing the engineering of mechanisms that
moot large sections of halakhah.

In particular, he didn't understand how one could possibly argue meqach
ta'us based on things that may have not even existed at the time of
the wedding. If it did work, Yevamos -- and in fact the shas's seder
Nashim in general -- would be far shorter. Do the members of this beis
din think they understood this kelal in halakhah better than all the
tannaim, amoraim rishonim and earlier acharonim who stuggled with just
such cases but didn't take this (relatively) easy way out?

Which in turn has impact on nidon didan... As an auxiliary argument,
I don't know how strong RYBS thought the argument of saying tav lemeitiv
is an existential reality since "ve'el isheikh teshuqaseikh" actually was.

Micha Berger             For a mitzvah is a lamp,
micha at aishdas.org        And the Torah, its light.
http://www.aishdas.org                   - based on Mishlei 6:2
Fax: (270) 514-1507