[Avodah] Q&A: Isn't Wearing a Wig Over Hair Pointless?

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Sun Jan 20 10:49:05 PST 2013

From http://tinyurl.com/a7zmlt8

Dear Jew in the City,

For the Orthodox ladies who wear a wig and claim part of the reason is for modesty, isn?t wearing a wig over hair kind of like wearing a t-shirt with a naked body printed on it? (Sorry for the crude example.) Wouldn?t it be better to cover the hair with a cloth? I know some Orthodox ladies do, and this seems to make more sense to me.

Thanks,

D.V.

Dear D.V.,

Your question is an excellent one, and I was asked a similar question by a friend who upon hearing that I wore a wig over my hair told me that it was like wearing a prosthetic nose over my nose! His question bothered me for a while. I do NOT like having philosophical quandaries floating around in my head that I don?t know how to answer, so after a bit of thought, I came up with something, and I think it applies to your question as well.

See the above URL for more. YL
Would poskim agree with this statement: In terms of covering hair with a wig, the hair in the wig is not explicitly sexual as we already said, but at the same time it does create a barrier so that the actual, free-flowing hair of the woman is not available for public consumption. It's somewhat similar to wearing a t-shirt with flesh covered sleeves. As long as the material is opaque, wearing such a shirt is totally fine.

KT
Joel Rich
THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.