[Avodah] Q&A: Isn’t Wearing a Wig Over Hair Pointless?

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Fri Jan 18 11:11:47 PST 2013

 From http://tinyurl.com/a7zmlt8

Dear Jew in the City,

For the Orthodox ladies who wear a wig and claim part of the reason
is for modesty, isn't wearing a wig over hair kind of like wearing a
t-shirt with a naked body printed on it? (Sorry for the crude
example.) Wouldn't it be better to cover the hair with a cloth? I
know some Orthodox ladies do, and this seems to make more sense to me.

Thanks,

D.V.

Dear D.V.,

Your question is an excellent one, and I was asked a similar question
by a friend who upon hearing that I wore a wig over my hair told me
that it was like wearing a prosthetic nose over my nose! His question
bothered me for a while. I do NOT like having philosophical
quandaries floating around in my head that I don't know how to
answer, so after a bit of thought, I came up with something, and I
think it applies to your question as well.

See the above URL for more. YL