[Avodah] CONTEMPORARY KITCHEN ISSUES PART I

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jan 15 13:20:00 PST 2013

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 08:36:36PM +0200, Ben Waxman wrote:
> I don't know why this a contemporary issue. Jews have had non-Jewish
> servants for generations. Someone was coming in at random interval to
> check on them?

Maybe nothing as distrustful as hanging around only to check on them.
(Although maybe yes.)

But more likely, it was rare for people to be away from their home
with guarantees of not coming in mid-day. It's not like 9-5 jobs were
necessarily commonplace, even among people wealthy enough to own
staff.

Also, judging from incidentals in rabbi stories, hiring poor Jews was
more common.

Micha Berger             Brains to the lazy
micha at aishdas.org        are like a torch to the blind --
http://www.aishdas.org   a useless burden.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                 - Bechinas HaOlam