[Avodah] A Three-Day Journey

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Wed Jan 9 10:31:03 PST 2013

On 9/01/2013 6:09 AM, Akiva Miller wrote:
> 7,8) In Sefer Sh'mos, both last week (5:3)*and*  this week (8:23), Moshe asks Par'o for no more than a 3-day furlough. And these were not merely Moshe speaking on his own initiative, but at Hashem's command (3:18)! Even as late as after the ninth makkah, in 10:24-26, Par'o still thought that the exodus would be less than total, and Moshe refrained from correcting this misimpression.

As I understand it, had Par'oh agreed to the three-day leave they would
have returned, and stuck it out for the rest of the 400 years.  But Hashem
knew that he wouldn't agree, and therefore He would end up taking them out
of Egypt permanently.

--
Zev Sero               A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and
zev at sero.name          substantial reason' why he should be permitted to