[Avodah] Hasagat Gevul of a bus company

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Jan 9 10:39:28 PST 2013

On Wed, Jan 09, 2013 at 05:10:48PM +0000, Akiva Miller wrote:
: R' Toby Katz wrote:
: > I remember the famous story of the Chofetz Chaim, who
: > supposedly tore up a postage stamp when he gave a letter...

:        See the posts by R' Arie Folger in Digest 27:224
: <http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/vol27/v27n224.shtml#07>,
: and by myself <http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/vol27/v27n225.shtml#03>
: and R' Micha Berger <www.aishdas.org/avodah/vol27/v27n225.shtml#06>
: in 27:225, under the header, 'Are "Gedolim Stories" Good for Chinuch?'

I was brighter back then. I recently wrote that I could only picture
the story making sense if the CC was trying to teach people to be
careful about cheating the gov't. And he would have to go overboard,
because the masses will necessarily set their own bar lower than
what they see the tzadiq doing. 2 years ago, I wrote something that
upon seeing it again ("did I write that?") I prefer:

> My understanding is that he originally intended to post the letter,
> and therefore had mentally given the money to the gov't. He didn't want
> to back out of a deal, even if just devarim shebaleiv.
> But I hope that's enough to take the absurd edge off this version
> of story.

Micha Berger             People were created to be loved.
micha at aishdas.org        Things were created to be used.
http://www.aishdas.org   The reason why the world is in chaos is that
Fax: (270) 514-1507      things are being loved, people are being used.