[Avodah] Uvnucho Yomar

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Mon Jan 7 10:10:24 PST 2013

From: "Akiva Miller" <kennethgmiller at juno.com>

In every  siddur I've looked at (Edot Hamizrach excepted), the printed
instructions  clearly state that Uv'nucho Yomar is to be said while placing the
Sefer Torah  back into the Aron. But in recent years, I have become more and
more aware of  people who simply say it immediately after the preceding
paragraph, regardless  of the location of the Sefer Torah....

Akiva Miller

Just as a point of interest, about half of us do not have any way of even
knowing WHERE the Sefer Torah is, and we just say Uv'nucho Yomar when we
guess  it should be said or when we hear other people saying it.  In MO shuls
they  all sing together, so there's a clue.  In my yeshivish Litvish
shtibel, it's every man for himself, murmur murmur.

Oh and every woman.   Yes, when I speak of those who have no way  of
knowing where the ST is, I refer to those of us who daven behind the  mechitza,
where you fellows are free to forget about us altogether.

But to give a more serious answer to the question of when to say Uv'nucho
Yomar, I don't think "while placing the Sefer Torah" has to be taken so
literally.  "Round about the time the Sefer Torah is placed in the aron" is
obviously close enough.

--Toby  Katz