[Avodah] Uvnucho Yomar

Akiva Miller kennethgmiller at juno.com
Sat Jan 5 20:30:59 PST 2013

In every siddur I've looked at (Edot Hamizrach excepted), the printed instructions clearly state that Uv'nucho Yomar is to be said while placing the Sefer Torah back into the Aron. But in recent years, I have become more and more aware of people who simply say it immediately after the preceding paragraph, regardless of the location of the Sefer Torah. This morning, for example, the chazan, who was carrying the Sefer himself, began sayng Uvnucho Yomar while he was still zmidst the tzibur, and not yet anywhere near the Aron.

I have two questions:

1) Why does the siddur tell us to say it while the the Sefer is being put back into the Aron? I've always presumed that it is because of the opening word: "Uvnucho - when it rested". But if so, wouldn't it be best to say it not *while* the Sefer is being replaced, but *after* it is back in its place?

2) #2 is actually two related questions: a) Have people always ignored the siddur's instruction and I just never noticed, or is this another minhag that is now beginning to change? b) If the latter, then what force is driving this change?

Akiva Miller