[Avodah] Seen on Facebook...

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Jan 4 09:32:51 PST 2013

On Fri, Jan 04, 2013 at 04:11:40AM -0800, R' Harry Maryles wrote:
:                                           But even if it was entriely
: "Kosher" in the actual steps he took (Let's say quoted made some sort
: of generic Posuk or soemthing). It deifnitely violates Halacha to be
: doing so.

I think this is the nail on the head, and points out how it's part of
general malaise.

Across the board, we as a community have spent so much time looking at
rites and things that define O in contrast to the liberal movements,
we forget to think about the other elements of what shemiras Torah
umitzvos means.

So this chaplain justifies what seems to me to be clear AZ because he is
jumping through hoops to avoid certain actions. And a woman who would
would never wear pants, follows all the shiurim she was taught in sem
still but manages to wear something MORE revealing -- skin tight pencil
skirt (but it goes a tefach below her knee!). And we can argue whether
or not some feminist-motivated innovation fits the necessary mitzvos
maasios, and whether the motivation is Jewish or otherwise, but there
are people who don't even understand the relevance of the latter question.

As I said, forgetting the chiyuvim of the heart is a problem across the
board. No less so than in Rabbeinu Bachya ibn Paquda's day.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             "I think, therefore I am." - Renne Descartes
micha at aishdas.org        "I am thought about, therefore I am -
http://www.aishdas.org   my existence depends upon the thought of a
Fax: (270) 514-1507      Supreme Being Who thinks me." - R' SR Hirsch