[Avodah] What date was the Torah given?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Jan 2 13:31:36 PST 2013

On Wed, Jan 02, 2013 at 03:29:28PM -0500, Zev Sero wrote:
> And there's no machloket about Asher's birth.  What does that tell you?
> Think about it.

Too many possibilities. The easiest:

- Not as many of Chazal cared enough about Asher's birth date to bother
  form a position.

- The date of Matan Torah was intentionally left more obscure, because
  (as RPTeitz put it) we don't even want to pin Matan Torah down to
  a single time.

- We care more about timing Matan Torah as a process from Pesach than as
  a date. And therefore 49 vs 50 vs 51 days has aggadic import. (Kind of
  a blending of the prior two possibilities.)

Etc...

Micha Berger             Like a bird, man can reach undreamed-of
micha at aishdas.org        heights as long as he works his wings.
http://www.aishdas.org   But if he relaxes them for but one minute,
Fax: (270) 514-1507      he plummets downward.   - Rav Yisrael Salanter