[Avodah] In revolutionary ruling, rabbis allow gender selection

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Wed Jan 2 09:51:34 PST 2013

From: "Prof. Levine" <llevine at stevens.edu>
>From  http://tinyurl.com/b2gfquv

>> Until now, rabbis have forbidden any  intervention
to select the sex of baby  But Jewish fertility
center  founder Rabbi Menachem Burstein says an
increase in the number of requests  stemming from
deep psychological needs has prompted rabbis to reconsider....  <<

Yitzchok Levine

I really have a hard time believing that anyone has a "deep psychological
need" to have a son rather than a daughter, or vice versa.

I also am not very sympathetic to the idea that such a "need" justifies
gender selection -- which can be very expensive and can require invasive and
potentially risky medical intervention.  There is a way to separate Y sperm
from X sperm in a lab but it is far from foolproof -- it has anywhere from
a 10% to a 50% failure rate (meaning a 10% to 50% chance that the "wrong"
sex baby will be born).  The only way that is foolproof is the much more
expensive and invasive method of having the couple go through IVF, watch the
fertilized ova for a couple of days until they have grown into
several-celled balls, and then test each "ball" to see if it's male or  female,
discarding the ones that are the wrong sex.

The one reason that truly does justify the expense, pain and risks, IMO, is
 "medical gender selection," in which sex selection can prevent the birth
of a  child who carries certain catastrophic genetic diseases.

A boy may inherit from his mother a defective X chromosome causing a
disease like muscular dystrophy, hemophilia or another genetic disease that is
carried by the mother and can affect her male offspring.  In such a case  the
parents want only girls because only boys get the disease.  Even if a  girl
inherits her mother's "bad" X she will not have the disease  --  because
the second X that she got from her father will protect her from disease  --
though she will be a carrier and can pass it on to /her/ sons.

One way to prevent the birth of children of the "wrong" sex is to check the
 sex of the baby via amniocentesis when the mother is further along in her
pregnancy and then abort the baby if it is the unwanted sex.  I think at
that point the baby can also be tested to see if he did inherit his mother's
"bad" X chromosome.  Abortion is way easier and cheaper than IVF but
morally reprehensible.

Ironically many Christians consider the discarding of an eight-celled ball
in the lab to be murder, just the same as if you had aborted a fetus or had
 strangled a full-term baby after birth.  But I don't think there are /any/
 Jewish poskim who would say the discarding of such tiny balls of cells is
the  same as abortion, let alone the same as murder!

BTW yesterday when we were talking about why there might be objections to
IVF, one consideration that we didn't mention was the necessity of
discarding  "extra" fertilized eggs.  Typically drugs are administered to induce
super-ovulation -- the release of multiple eggs, not the normal monthly one or
two eggs -- so that the doctors will have more to work with.  Not all the
eggs will fertilize. But if six or eight or ten eggs /do/ fertilize, you do
not  want to implant them all in the woman's uterus, because the babies will
not  survive (and the mother might not either!). Instead, you implant the
one or  two that look the healthiest and are growing vigorously, and either
discard the  rest or freeze them for use in a later attempt.  If at a later
date the  couple decide not to use those frozen eggs, and they are thawed and
discarded,  Catholics believe that thawing out those embryos is yet another
act of  murder, and all the doctors and nurses in the fertility clinic are
mass  murderers.  We Jews are pro-life but don't agree with the Catholics
and  fundamentalist Christians on this. I can sort of see where some poskim
might not  like the idea of discarding extra embryos (balls of cells -- do not
picture  a baby or even a fetus).  But the vast majority do not seem to
consider  this a halachic problem AFAIK.  When we asked our shailos we were
told it  was not a problem.  If you need that information I will tell you
privately  which posek we asked but since I cannot be certain he would answer
every case  the same I don't want to say it here.

So anyway, not to forget my main point, to my mind sex selection IS
justified for medical reasons,  but doing something that is so expensive,  so
invasive, and so risky to the mother, is not justified just because G-d  sent
you six daughters and you really wanted a son.  Love your daughters  and thank
G-d for them, and thank Him that you are not one of those childless  Jewish
couples who would be ecstatic to have your "problem."

--Toby Katz