[Avodah] Why Lie When Truth Can Also Achieve Peace

Lisa Liel lisa at starways.net
Wed Jan 2 08:29:16 PST 2013

On 1/2/2013 7:40 AM, Zev Sero wrote:
> On 2/01/2013 1:07 AM, Arie Folger wrote:
>> That's your statement. Can you please back this up with Chazal? Or at
>> least a Rishon?

> What exactly are you challenging?  What part of what I wrote do you not
> already know to be true?   Hamefursamos einam tzrichim ra'ayah; are you
> just trying to assign me some make-work?!

It's polite to include some of what you're referring to, so that people
don't have to go back and search through old emails.

[It could very well have been deleted by my hand. When there is a rapid
discussion in which no quotes are trimmed, I sometimes step in. -micha]

You'd written this:
>  Prophecy and Ruach Hakodesh are not the same thing.  Nevuah went away.
>  Ruach Hakodesh never went away; it's what tzadikim today have.  It's
>  not direct communication of information; it's an ability to see the
>  hidden truth.  So by default he would know everything that it's relevant
>  for him to know, unless Hashem specifically hides it from him.

Things that are not "mefursamos" and do require a ra'ayah:

1) Tzaddikim today have ruach ha-kodesh.
2) Ruach ha-kodesh is an all-or-nothing thing, so that a person who has
it would know everything it's relevant for him to know, unless Hashem
specifically hides it from him.

I challenge both of these assertions. Please provide sources in Chazal,
or at least a Rishon.

Lisa