[Avodah] IT IS WHEN YOU GIVE OF YOURSELF THAT YOU TRULY GIVE

cantorwolberg at cox.net cantorwolberg at cox.net
Tue Jan 15 06:38:49 PST 2013

I saw the following beautiful vort with no attribution:

"How many Children of Israel were there in the desert? Moshe did not quite
know. They needed to be numbered. Therefore, when each one gave the
same silver half shekel, these gifts were counted and thus the number was
known. The Torah means to say that we are counted by what we give, NOT
by what we take."

This reminds me of what one rabbi wrote regarding what happens when we
die. He wrote that The Almighty is not going to ask to see your material worth;
but He IS going to ask for your receipts.