[Avodah] honoring the deceased's wish

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Sun Sep 23 08:37:19 PDT 2012

In a message dated 9/23/2012 10:34:12 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
micha at aishdas.org writes:

On Sun,  Sep 23, 2012 at 06:36:00AM -0700, Harry Maryles wrote:
: R' Shimon told him  about his father's Tzava'ah. Whereupon the Chozeh
: told him that R'  Yisroel Leib was in the Olam Ha'Emes now and knew that
: the correct Nusach  was Nusach Sephard (which is used by most Chasidim)
: which includes that  phrase. Implying that he should start saying it.

Lo bashamayim hi would  imply that RYLH knowing what heaven thinks is more
correct doesn't mean he  knows what we should be doing.  No?

GCT!
-Micha

it is wrong to compare saying Kaddish in Nusach Sfard  (chassidish) with
not saying Kaddish at all.

If a father asks his son not to say Kaddish, the son should disregard his
father's wishes because now that his father is in the olam ha'emes, he
surely  does wish his son to say Kaddish.  Obeying halacha is not something that
is  "in Shamayim" -- it is here, we have been given the Torah.

As for obeying a father who wants a Litvishe rather than a chassidishe
Kaddish, in that case the son should honor the father's wishes, because it
doesn't matter which Kaddish is said as long as a Kaddish is said.  What
matters in this case is honoring your father.

Chassidim would say about their nusach that now that the Arizal and the
Baal Shem Tov have lived here on earth, nussach sfard is not bashamayim but
down  here on earth.   They would say that we here on earth now know what is
preferred in Heaven.

My own feeling is that as long as you are following your father's nusach or
 your rebbe's nusach (not sure which trumps which), you are doing the right
thing  and Litvishe, chassidishe, and Sephardi tefillos are all good.
Yekkes'  tefillos are good, Hungarians' are good, Poilishe Jews' are good,
Persian  Jews' and Yemenite Jews' tefillos are all good.  Mutual respect  is an
aspect of "vehavta lerei'acha kamocha" and lo baShamayim hi.

--Toby Katz
GCT