[Avodah] The Elegant Answer to all Theological Questions

Yosef Gavriel Bechhofer rygb at aishdas.org
Fri Sep 21 15:03:28 PDT 2012

In a Friday morning learning group, we were sitting this morning and
learning over the ma'aseh of Nakdimon ben Gurion in Ta'anis 19b. The
members of the group were struggling with the issues the episode raises
- viz., was Nakdimon relying on a miracle, why did he have to daven, why
did Hashem answer so late, etc. - issues of bitachon, hashgacha and
tefilla. Weighty stuff.

In responding to one of the questions as to why things couldn't just go
right from the onset, one of the erudite members of the group, Reb David
Bockman, said, simply:

"But then there is no story."

I was blown away. Those simple six words answer all the questions. When
I expressed that response at first the other members thought I was being
facetious. But I was, and am, not.

Think about it...