[Avodah] Can a Rasha do Teshuva?

Simon Montagu simon.montagu at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 20:29:23 PDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 2:09 AM,  <T613K at aol.com> wrote:
> Like the man in the gemara who visited every
> red light district in the world, a bas kol said "Everyone can do teshuva
> except [whatever his name was]."  He cried so much his neshama left him and
> a bas kol said his teshuva was accepted and he went to Gan Eden.   I'm sure
> the learned chevra here will remember the story and provide a citation.

You're thinking of the story of how R Elazar ben Dordai was kone olamo
besha'a achat in AZ 17, but I think the bat kol has crept into your
memory from elsewhere: R Elisha ben Abuya claimed to R Meir that he
heard a bat kol saying "Shuvu banim shovevim, hutz me-acher", and IIRC
it's a mahloket whether he actually heard it, or whether this was his
greatest heresy.