[Avodah] Can a Rasha do Teshuva?

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Wed Sep 19 16:09:59 PDT 2012

From: "Akiva Miller" <kennethgmiller at juno.com>

Is  teshuva ineffective for the rasha? A simple reading of this Rambam
would seem to  indicate that the rasha was already sealed for death on Rosh
Hashana, and it is  only the beinoni who needs to bother with teshuva. Is it
impossible for the  rasha's future to be improved by teshuva?....

....But this logic  seems to confirm what I wrote in the beginning, that
the rasha gamur, the 100%  rasha, is sealed for death on Rosh Hashana, and no
amount of teshuva will help  him. I am very troubled by this. I would prefer
to think that *everyone* -- even  the rasha gamur who might not ever
actually exist -- can improve his fate by  doing teshuva.

Akiva Miller

There are some people whose sins are so bad that only death can atone, but
they can still do teshuva.  They will die -- presumably prematurely -- but
they will go to olam haba.   Like the man in the gemara who visited  every
red light district in the world, a bas kol said "Everyone can do teshuva
except [whatever his name was]."  He cried so much his neshama left  him and a
bas kol said his teshuva was accepted and he went to Gan Eden.   I'm sure
the learned chevra here will remember the story and provide a  citation.

--Toby  Katz
GCT