[Avodah] FW: RSRH on Metzitzeh bePeh

Harry Maryles hmaryles at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 5 13:50:11 PDT 2012

--- On Wed, 9/5/12, Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org> wrote:
On Thu, Sep 06, 2012 at 02:28:16AM +1000, SBA wrote:
: He advises a Mohel to refuse to do a bris where the father disallows MB
:
: http://nochemrosenberg.blogspot.com.au/2012/09/r-shamshon-raphael-hirsch-on-metzizah.html

I think this whole approach of citing Yekkish and Litvisher sources,
though, to be pointless. There is a machloqes here, and pointing out
that some hold that MbP (direct) is not required doesn't change reality
for those who follow the other tzad. It's not like this is some new
chumrah-of-the-month.

So, from the perspective that holds that MbP is deOraisa, what can one
say that justifies the total abandonment of a mitzvah deOraisa? The only
thing I can think of would be piquach nefesh...

What exactly do you expect them to believe, given THEIR givens?------------------------------------------
How did they arrive at their "givens"? I have yet to see the Teshuva or even a Sevara to say that MbP is D'Oraisa. Where is the source for that? I know that this is what is being claimed - but maybe that that is all it is?... a claim without an actual source.
Even their oft quoted Maharam Shick who said that the CS only meant it for one case could not possibly have said that Metzitza w/o using the Peh was vaild in one exceptional case if it is Chiuv D'Oraisa. That the CS said Metzitza was vaild w/o using the Peh in even in one case means that it cannot possibly be a D'Oraisa - even according to the Maharam Shick.
Maybe the MS felt that it is needed L'Chatchila. But that means that B'Dieaved Metzitza can be done w/o the Peh.
I just don't buy that they actually believe that Metzitza w/o the Pejh is Me'akev the Metzitza.
Rav Zuriel seemed to say that the MbP is entirely a Minahg and he gave no hint that there is a dispute about that. He explained why... and brought several Gedolei HaPoskim of the past who not only Paskined that MbP is not necessary but that not using a Peh for Metzitza is a Hidur on the Gemarah's entire intent of Metzitza - clearly stated as Pikuach Nefesh!
What is their possible counter to that? Other than to say that to just insist that is a Chiuv Doraoisa to use the Peh for Metzitza?
HM

Want Emes and Emunah in your life?

Try this: http://haemtza.blogspot.com/