[Avodah] FW: RSRH on Metzitzeh bePeh

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Sep 5 10:46:52 PDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 06, 2012 at 02:28:16AM +1000, SBA wrote:
: He advises a Mohel to refuse to do a bris where the father disallows MB
:
: http://nochemrosenberg.blogspot.com.au/2012/09/r-shamshon-raphael-hirsch-on-metzizah.html

But RSRH considers using a glass tube to avoid physical contact by
the mouth to be MbP. He and R' Azriel Hildesheimer published a teshuvah
together promoting such a device which implies it's altogether equal. But
what RSRH wrote for the more committed in Shemesh Merapei #55 that
using the tube was inferior, but acceptable. In either case, using a
tube would be a valid alternative, leshitaso, and not "refuse to do a
beris" territory.

I think this whole approach of citing Yekkish and Litvisher sources,
though, to be pointless. There is a machloqes here, and pointing out
that some hold that MbP (direct) is not required doesn't change reality
for those who follow the other tzad. It's not like this is some new
chumrah-of-the-month.

So, from the perspective that holds that MbP is deOraisa, what can one
say that justifies the total abandonment of a mitzvah deOraisa? The only
thing I can think of would be piquach nefesh, but then one would have to
explain why the risk is greater now than in Giv'as haAralos. We have far
better ways of caring for infection, and far fewer germs living in our
mouths than ever before. If the risk now is sufficient piquach nefesh to
justify not doing MbP (given the assumption that it's deOraisa) then how
could HQBH ever have expected Jews of any era to practice it? Was MbP
intended to be like ben sorer umoreh or ir hanidachas and every gadol
from Yehoshua through the acharonim erred in taking a din given just
for learning and followed it lemaaseh?

What exactly do you expect them to believe, given THEIR givens?

Micha Berger             Between stimulus & response, there is a space.
micha at aishdas.org        In that space is our power to choose our
http://www.aishdas.org   response. In our response lies our growth
Fax: (270) 514-1507      and our freedom. - Victor Frankl, (MSfM)