[Avodah] History?

Saul Guberman saulguberman at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 11:55:31 PDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 1:22 PM, Rich, Joel <JRich at sibson.com> wrote:

>  I was struck by these 2 views of history. It would be interesting to
> consider where on the spectrum we as individuals and communities fall out.
> KT
> Joel Rich

Doesn't TANACH & many of the stories in the Gemorah contradict RSS's
thesis?  Good and bad stories are told of the same people or same types of
people.  I think both types are purposely put in to inspire us.  Why
conflate inspirational stories with history?

Saul

> http://www.jewishideasdaily.com/4815/features/until-a-hundred-twenty/
>
>  <SNIP>
>  And how does fulfilling the historian’s duty help us “face” the present
> and future?  It is, of course, too soon to tell in any simple sense; but,
> although historians cannot predict the future, “there are certain things
> that the historian can and should do.  He can look at what has been
> happening and what is happening and see change developing.”  By doing so,
> Lewis says, “he can formulate, I will not say predictions, but
> possibilities, alternative possibilities, things that may happen.”
>
> Rabbi Shimon Schwab & Historic Truth
>
> SNIP

What is gained by pointing out their inadequacies and their contradictions?