[Avodah] History?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Aug 21 12:23:08 PDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 01:22:46PM -0400, Rich, Joel wrote:
: Rabbi Shimon Schwab & Historic Truth
:> What ethical purpose is served by preserving a realistic historic
:> picture? Nothing but the satisfaction of curiosity. We should tell
:> ourselves and our children the good memories of the good people, their
:> unshakable faith, their staunch defense of tradition, their life of
:> truth, their impeccable honesty, their boundless charity and their
:> great reverence for Torah and Torah sages. What is gained by pointing
:> out their inadequacies and their contradictions? We want to be inspired
:> by their example and learn from their experience...

R' Hutner believed that there was much to be gained. We need "to be
inspired by their example and learn from their experience" at overcoming
setbacks, failings, and limitations. He wrote in letter 128, as translated
in the JO (Dec 1981):
   ...A failing many of us suffer from is, that when we consider the
   aspects of perfection of our sages, we focus on the ultimate level of
   their attainments... while omitting mention of the inner struggles
   that had previously raged within them. A listener would get the
   impression that these individuals came out of the hand of their
   Creator in full-blown form.

    Everyone is awed at the purity of speech of the Chofetz Chaim,
    z.t.l., considering it a miraculous phenomenon. But who knows of the
    battles, struggles and obstacles, the slumps and regressions that
    the Chofetz Chaim encountered in his war with the yetzer horo (evil
    inclination)? There are many such examples, to which a discerning
    individual such as yourself can certainly apply the rule.

    The result of this failing is that when an ambitious young man
    of spirit and enthusiasm meets obstacles, falls and slumps, he
    imagines himself as unworthy of being 'planted in the house of
    Hashem.' According to this young man's fancy, flourishing in the house
    of Hashem means to repose with calm spirit on 'lush meadows' beside
    'tranquil waters' (Tehilim-Psalm 23) delighting in the yetzer hatov
    [good inclination], in the manner of the righteous delighting in the
    reflection of the Shechina [Divine Presence], with crowns on their
    heads, gathered in Gan Eden [Garden of Eden]. And at the same time,
    untroubled by the agitation of the yetzer hora....

    Know, however, my dear friend, that your soul is rooted not in
    the TRANQUILITY of the yetzer tov, but rather in the BATTLE of the
    yetzer tov. And your precious warm-hearted letter 'testifies as one
    hundred witnesses' that you are a worthy warrior in the battalion
    of the yetzer tov. The English expression, 'Lose a battle and win
    a war' applies. Certainly you have stumbled, and will tumble again
    (a self-fulfilling prophecy is not intended) and in many battles
    you will fall lame. I promise you, though, that after those losing
    campaigns you will emerge from the war with the laurels of victory
    upon your head.... Lose battles but win wars.

Micha Berger             You will never "find" time for anything.
micha at aishdas.org        If you want time, you must make it.
http://www.aishdas.org                     - Charles Buxton
Fax: (270) 514-1507