[Avodah] Birkat eirusiin

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Aug 20 11:41:55 PDT 2012

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 10:32:52AM -0500, Lisa Liel wrote:
>                Given that we say that someone who isn't obligated in a
> mitzvah can't be motzi someone who is, how is it that the mesader
> kedushin can say the birkat eirusin instead of the chatan?  Does anyone
> know how that works?

A shaliach has to be connected to the mitzvah in order to be a valid
shaliach. Not even fulfilling or even subject to the chiyuv at the moment
he is doing the shelichus.

Someone who already heard Qiddush could make Qiddush for another. And
a husband, who already fulfilled Qiddush deOraisa when saying the
Amidah for Maariv can be motzi his wife in her chiyuv deOraisa for
Qiddush. (Although it is a popular topic in lomdus to discuss why,
then, she shouldn't take priority and preferably be the one to make
Qiddush.)

The textbook example (Gittin 62b): A man can be a shaliach leqabalah on a
gett because a father accepts the gett for a qetanah. The shaliach himself
might not have a daughter, and be unable to ever produce one. Still,
men fall under the rubric of meqabelei gittin because of this case,
so he can be a valid shaliach.

Micha Berger             What we do for ourselves dies with us.
micha at aishdas.org        What we do for others and the world,
http://www.aishdas.org   remains and is immortal.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                        - Albert Pine