[Avodah] Who did Hakhel?

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Wed Aug 15 19:32:02 PDT 2012

On 15/08/2012 5:43 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 04:58:49PM -0400, R J Chesky Salomon wrote to Areivim:
> : On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 4:06 PM, Micha Berger<micha at aishdas.org>  wrote:
> :>  Side-note: Shelomo calls himself "Qoheles ben David" in a fit of Ruach
> :>  haQodesh. He was the only king to fulfill Haqhel -- before him there was
> :>  no BHMQ, and after him 10 of the shevatim wouldn't come. Related is the
> :>  yeish omerim in Rashi, that Qoheles is a collection of things said he
> :>  at Haqhel.
>
> : Enough of the 10 shevatim returned under Yoshiyahu so they could have
> : a Yovel year; would Hakhel not have occurred as well?
>
> Since according to Qoheles Rabba it didn't, this shitah's answer must be
> "no". (I now also see that QR includes Rashi's source.) Now we just
> have to figure out why.

Hang on, where in Qoheles Rabba does it say this?  I'm looking at it now
and I don't see it.  All I see is the same as Rashi's yesh omrim, that he's
called Koheles because his words were said at Hakhel.  Where do you see that
no other king did hakhel?

--
Zev Sero        "Natural resources are not finite in any meaningful
zev at sero.name    economic sense, mind-boggling though this assertion