[Avodah] Who did Hakhel?

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Wed Aug 15 15:02:06 PDT 2012

On 15/08/2012 5:43 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
> The shevatim returned in Yoshiahu yr 18. That's when they started
> counting the yovel -- not actually observing a yovel year.   There
> are 14 years of Yoshiahu and Yehoyakim and Yehoyachin were 11 yrs,
> Tzidqiyahu another 11. 14+11+11 = 36 years. So, as the gemara concludes
> (Eirchin 12b), the next yovel would have been 14 years after the churban.

I don't understand.  To get 17 yovlos in 850 years they *must* have
counted a yovel year during the 90 years that the shvatim were away,
as the Rambam says in Hil' Shmita veyovel ch 10.  The gemara you cite
is dealing with R Yehuda's opinion, but according to him one *never*
counts a yovel year, because the yovel is the first year of the next cycle.
So either way your statement  "That's when they started counting the yovel
  -- not actually observing a yovel year" doesn't seem to make sense.

> Yoshiahu's restoration of enough of the shevatim

Don't you mean Yirmiyahu?  What role did Yoshiyahu play in it?

--
Zev Sero        "Natural resources are not finite in any meaningful
zev at sero.name    economic sense, mind-boggling though this assertion