[Avodah] tzaar baalei chayim

cantorwolberg at cox.net cantorwolberg at cox.net
Thu Aug 9 13:04:26 PDT 2012

RLK wrote:
> In common law, it seems that the people enforcing the law seem to take it
> for granted that if someone abuses their property, that property can be
> removed from them. But in Torah law, it seems that the rights of the owners
> on the property are stronger, and can't necessarily be removed for harming
> their property.

If someone abuses their property, that property can be removed from them.
ABSOLUTELY UNTRUE.

As a graduate of Westport Police Academy in Massachusetts, I can
authoritatively tell you that you can destroy every bit of your personal
furniture, car, other property. THAT, in and of itself, is not a crime
nor is it in violation of any Massachusetts statute. Aside of Torah
law, one has the right to destroy one's own property. Obviously, if
a person were to take his television in public and start smashing it,
he could be charged with disorderly conduct (for causing a disturbance,
but NOT for the destruction of his personal property).