[Avodah] Rab Dessler's Givers and Takers

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Aug 8 23:34:20 PDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 11:47:50PM -0500, Maxi Yedid wrote:
: What I said that Rab Dessler took it from Rab Ashlag I red in a book that
: is a biography and the main teachings of Sulam, and it said there "Rab
: Dessler used this concept, as it is well known"...

I still think it was simply zeitgeist, an attitude toward Torah that was
popular in that era.

: Micha: what you said that Baale mussar didn't use Kabalah is completely
: incorrect. It just that they didn't EXPLICITLY quote from there, but they
: did it IMPLICITLY...

I said that "Tenu'as haMussar really doesn't utilize Qabbalah much". By
which I meant, whatever Qabbala they might have used, or might be
consistent with because after all they are perspectives on the same
Torah, is not necessary to explore that to follow the derekh. If you
recall how rarely Litvaks turned to Qabbalah after R' Chaim Volozhiner's
generation, and in fact disuaded people from exploring it, this is
unsurprising. Qabbalah is framed as not essential for knowing man's job
in this world.

RSRH also writes many many things consistent with Qabbalah and that
reportedly appear in the margins of the Zohar he owned. But one can
fully follow his derekh without paying attention to any of that.

Micha Berger             You are where your thoughts are.
micha at aishdas.org                - Ramban, Igeres Hakodesh, Ch. 5
http://www.aishdas.org
Fax: (270) 514-1507