[Avodah] Brush teeth after seudat shlishit

Poppers, Michael MPoppers at kayescholer.com
Wed Aug 8 10:29:25 PDT 2012

In Avodah V30n109, R'Micha clarified:
> 1- I do believe that junk foods are olos al shulchan melakhim. For example, Ronald Reagan's famous love of Jelly Belly (brand jellybeans) <http://www.reagan.utexas.edu/archives/reference/jellybellies.html>,
set out to be available for visiting heads of state. Kings do and always have enjoyed nosh. <
And the example demonstrates only that at RR's table, JB jellybeans were an appropriate offering -- how does it demonstrate that junk food is appropriate at a subsequent US President's table, much less your or my table, much less forevermore and in all locations?

RAM again asked:
I don't know, but Rav Hershel Schachter is quoted as equating "oleh al shulchan m'lachim" with the Shabbos table -- see http://koltorah.org/ravj/14-3%20Pat%20Akum%202.htm .

> Setting aside the question of preparing for after Shabbos, this person was surprised that someone would deign to eat such a non-special food on Shabbos at all. <
And, given RnLL's "...we wouldn't ordinarily chow down on half a can of Pringles on Shabbat," RHS would seem to be saying (if quoted accurately) that Pringles are not "oleh al shulchan m'lachim," but my Q (among a few Qs mentioned in my earlier post in this thread) of whether that means one sitting at RnLL's table on Shabbos should never be served Pringles seems to still be open.

All the best from
Michael Poppers * Elizabeth, NJ, USA