[Avodah] geneivas daas [was: Imposing dress codes on non-Jews]

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu Aug 2 08:17:54 PDT 2012

On 2/08/2012 6:12 AM, Micha Berger wrote:
> From: Zev Sero<zev at sero.name>

>>  Geneivas Akum is assur min hatorah, isn't it?  Whereas where is*any*
>>  geneivas daas assur min hatorah?

> I was thinking about geneivas da'as aku"m having nothing to do with
> chilul H' (which is why I called it "more direct") and thus having no
> parallel to the situation of ta'us aku"m.

But how is it "more direct" than geneivas aku"m?

> Geneivas da'as is learned out from Vayiqra 19:11

If that's the makor then it says explicitly "ish ba'amiso".

> more to our point (but less supported) from Bereishis 31:20, "Vayignov
> Yaaqov es leiv Lavan", an instance of geneivas da'as aku"m.

And one that was muttar.  Ra'ayah listor!

> I would also note that midevar sheqer tirchaq is a reflexive lav

Which is directed to dayanim (and by extension litigants and witnesses),
isn't it?  Where do we see that it applies outside the context of a
court case?

--
Zev Sero        "Natural resources are not finite in any meaningful
zev at sero.name    economic sense, mind-boggling though this assertion