[Avodah] geneivas daas [was: Imposing dress codes on non-Jews]

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Aug 2 03:12:31 PDT 2012

From: Zev Sero <zev at sero.name>
> Geneivas Akum is assur min hatorah, isn't it?  Whereas where is *any*
> geneivas daas assur min hatorah?

I was thinking about geneivas da'as aku"m having nothing to do with
chilul H' (which is why I called it "more direct") and thus having no
parallel to the situation of ta'us aku"m.

Geneivas da'as is learned out from Vayiqra 19:11 (see Ritva Chullin 94a,
Sma"g lav #55) and more to our point (but less supported) from Bereishis
31:20, "Vayignov Yaaqov es leiv Lavan", an instance of geneivas da'as
aku"m.

I would also note that midevar sheqer tirchaq is a reflexive lav, there
is no object to the sentence outside oneself, the target of the sheqer is
irrelevent.

Micha Berger             It's nice to be smart,
micha at aishdas.org        but it's smarter to be nice.
http://www.aishdas.org                   - R' Lazer Brody
Fax: (270) 514-1507