[Avodah] Does Daf Yomi Exemplify Talmud Torah?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Aug 1 11:51:10 PDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 01, 2012 at 02:15:50PM -0400, Rich, Joel wrote:
: AIUI the ah's is saying it's a lchatchila bdieved - we'd be better
: off if we could educate people that they shouldn't always get what they
: want but if we try sometimes we might just find that they can get what
: they need instead

I think that overstates it. He is acknowledging that for all the value
of focusing on halakhah pesuqah, it is still true that ein adam lomeid
ela mah shelibo chafeitz.

None of which discusses the issue of pace and whether those of us who
aren't geniuses can do gemara justice with only 45 min per daf. The AhS
is referring to topic, not quality. R' Hai Gaon's advice explains that
this too has deep middos value, beyond issues of havanah. Just from the
experience of being around the topic.

Micha Berger             I have great faith in optimism as a philosophy,
micha at aishdas.org        if only because it offers us the opportunity of
http://www.aishdas.org   self-fulfilling prophecy.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                              - Arthur C. Clarke