[Avodah] Bnot tzlafchad

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Jul 19 08:11:00 PDT 2012

My thought which emphasized 36:12's "mimishpechos Menasheh" over pasuq
11's "livnei dodeihen", to say they married Menashites who would get
territory from the promised land is in the Melekhes Machsheves.

See the Haameiq Davar, who says that the whole "tena
lanu achuza *besokh achei avinu*" was a request that they not get
land Mei'eiver haYardein.

Despite that story not happening yet when they approach MRAH in P'
Pinechas. I have no answer.

: > On a Brisker level, looking at halakhah to the exclusion of abstract
: > notions of qedushah, the two lands are the same.

: > I don't think Moshe Rabbeinu felt that way.

Why not? MRAH complains about Re'uvein and Gad putting their cattle first,
and makes sure they aren't skipping out on the war. Perhaps there was
even a problem when they made the request, because they did so before
the border was moved. But would half of shevet Menasheh be deprived of
qedushas ha'aretz exactly because they had such a love of it?

Maybe Benos Tzelafchad's primary concern was bedavqa the mitzvos hateluyos
baaretz.

: > 3- Perhaps this is even why He chose sheivet Menasheh in particular.
: > Re'uvein and Gad choose the fertile plains over land in EY. Hashem then
: > adds to them half a sheivet, thereby guaranteeing that the new sheivet
: > won't lose ties to the original promised land, AND placing in their midst
: > an influence which has such ties. Thinking out loud now, wouldn't it make
: > the most sense, then, to choose the people who produced Benos Tzelafchad?

: It would make sense to choose the other half of the tribe. Give them the
: zechut to live in EY proper, and still maintain the family connection.

Which, as I noted above, would justify not taking Menasheh altogether.
The same logic that would ask why the more chovevei Tzion amongst
Menasheh should suffer would ask why Menasheh over some other sheivet?

Micha Berger             "Man wants to achieve greatness overnight,
micha at aishdas.org        and he wants to sleep well that night too."
http://www.aishdas.org         - Rav Yosef Yozel Horwitz, Alter of Novarodok
Fax: (270) 514-1507