[Avodah] LED "tealights" for Shabbos candles

Akiva Miller kennethgmiller at juno.com
Sun Jul 15 16:05:15 PDT 2012

R' Liron Kopinsky wrote:
> In a fully lit room, where one woman has already lit candles,
> while it is preferable for any other women who want to light
> to light in a different place in the house, we (I think this
> is only for Ashkenazim but I don't remember) hold that tosefet
> ohr is enough of a reason to make a bracha over an additional
> lighting.

R' Micha Berger added:
> For that matter, most women today are lighting candles in an
> area already well lit by the room's electric lighting.
> RHSchachter suggested that these be shut off and turned back
> on too. IIRC but I'm not certain I do recall correctly, he too
> said it was on the order of preferable, not mandatory.

If Rav Schachter did say that it was mandatory, then what is his
suggestion when we have consecutive days of Shabbos and Yom Tov? Would
we have to install timers so that all the lights in the room are off
while the neros are lit?

This question is discussed in Shmiras Shabbos K'Hilchasa, 43:34, where he