[Avodah] LED "tealights" for Shabbos candles

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Sun Jul 15 12:52:13 PDT 2012

From: "Akiva Miller" <kennethgmiller at juno.com>

R' Zev  Sero wrote:

> But we're not discussing "borei me'orei ha'esh";  we're
> discussing "lehadlik ner shel shabbos kodesh" or "shel
> yom  tov", etc.  And there the mitzvah is the provision
> of practical  light by which one may walk around
> without hurting oneself, and see what  one is eating.
> A LED provides this just as well as a candle.

(I  would add that we're also not talking about Chanukah, where Pirsumei
Nisa  demands fuel that burns on a wick.)

I've long felt exactly as RZS  explained. Which is why I'm indebted to this
posters in this thread for pointing  out the problems posed by the wording
of the bracha.

I'm now of the  opinion (not that my opinion counts for anything, of
course) that there should  be no problem whatsoever as regards fulfilling the
mitzvah of light in one's  home on Shabbos by use of an LED or other electric
light. But at the same time,  I can also see that one might not be able to use
the words "l'hadlik" or "ner"  when doing that mitzvah, depending on how
one defines those words.

Akiva Miller

Can we not translate "lehadlik ner" as "to turn on a light"?

--Toby  Katz
Romney -- good  values, good family, good  hair