[Avodah] LED "tealights" for Shabbos candles

Liron Kopinsky liron.kopinsky at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 00:04:16 PDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 11:33 PM, hankman <hankman at bell.net> wrote:

>   CM notes:
> However you answer the question you actually asked –whether “an LED light
> [is or] is not a ner” I think there is a threshold question of fact you
> need to investigate first. Since the purpose of ner Shabbos is to enhance
> oneg Shabbos so you do not eat your seudas Shabbos in a dark room, does
> this LED usefully illuminate the room and enhance “oneg” or is it like the
> LEDs on my modem or other electronic gear that just serve as an indicator
> for “on” or “off” but do not usefully illuminate the space they are in.

I'm not sure how relevant this would be. (Although my assumption is they do
give off a fair amount of light, like many LED flashlights today).

In a fully lit room, where one woman has already lit candles, while it is
preferable for any other women who want to light to light in a different
place in the house, we (I think this is only for Ashkenazim but I don't
remember) hold that tosefet ohr is enough of a reason to make a bracha over
an additional lighting. Further, if the room was fully dark without the
LEDs and they gave off just enough light to avoid tripping over something
on the floor, that would also presumably be enough light. Most LEDs, even
small ones on electrical devices, would provide this level of light.

Kol Tuv,
Liron