[Avodah] LED "tealights" for Shabbos candles

hankman hankman at bell.net
Thu Jul 12 13:33:14 PDT 2012

R’nTK wrote:

My husband wants to know whether you really could use these LED lights as
Shabbos candles, and could you make a bracha "lehadlik ner shel Shabbos"
over them? An LED light is not a ner -- or is it?

CM notes:
However you answer the question you actually asked –whether “an LED light [is or] is not a ner” I think there is a threshold question of fact you need to investigate first. Since the purpose of ner Shabbos is to enhance oneg Shabbos so you do not eat your seudas Shabbos in a dark room, does this LED usefully illuminate the room and enhance “oneg” or is it like the LEDs on my modem or other electronic gear that just serve as an indicator for “on” or “off” but do not usefully illuminate the space they are in.

Kol tuv

Chaim Manaster