[Avodah] Egel Zahav

hankman hankman at bell.net
Thu Jul 12 13:16:08 PDT 2012

R’Wolberg wrote:
: And the COW was the RIGHT type of leader??

RMB wrote:
They thought it was. The cow was Apis, the deity in the Egyptian pantheon
that delivered people's petitions to the other gods. Moshe had an air
of remoteness and loftiness, and they therefore replaced him with a
messenger who was closer to divinity than humanity.

CM notes:
If I recall correctly, the Ramban learns that the Shor was the choice as an alternate face of the Merkovo from the pnai adam represented by MR that they thought they had just lost. Of course I always wondered, well what was wrong with the pnai nesher or the pnai ari? Perhaps RMB’s use of the Egyptian pantheon might explain the preference? (Anyone know if the nesher or the ari are also part of this pantheon?) I rather suspect that the Ramban must be frowning right about now for trying to use this pantheon to explain his peshat in chumash and mixing merkovo and pantheon in one breath.

Kol tuv

Chaim Manaster