[Avodah] Egel Zahav

Daas Books info at daasbooks.com
Thu Jul 12 11:56:27 PDT 2012

I¹m confused by this thread.

The original question, and the replies to it, are based on this premise:

> hence insisted upon the golden calf

(I¹ve quoted longer snippets below for anyone who missed them)

This premise seems to be that the Bnai Yisroel people _chose_ to construct a
cow to replace Moshe.

I had thought that the pashut pshat of Ex 32:24 was that the cow was either
completely _not_ the specific intention of the people or at the most the
intention of _one_ person (³Micha² according to the Midrash), and that these
people, upon seeing this miraculous cow, were able to embrace it as a
familiar symbol that they could party ­ er, rally ­ around.

Therefore, until now I¹ve understood that their problem was that Moshe had
been a tangible way for them to relate to Hashem, and with him gone, they
had a really hard time relating to Hashem, because they were addicted as it
were to the physical world. The cow gave them something physical that they
could relate to. And moreover, the ³they² we¹re talking about is the Eruv
Rav, not the Bnai Yisroel.

What the participants in this thread seem to be saying is that they ­ the
Bnai Yisroel - were looking for a leader and made a conscious choice to
create and follow an aigel.

There you have it ­ I¹ve exposed my ignorance. Will someone please set me
straight.

- Alexander Seinfeld